“Is it really okay if it’s love?”


Thoughts after watching “It’s Okay, “It’s Love” (괜찮아, 사랑이야).


(Official Drama poster from SBS)

It’s been a week since SBS’ “It’s Okay, It’s Love” ended. But hey, a sorta review for a Gong Hyo Jin drama is never too late. I started to admire Gong Hyo Jin since “Master’s Sun” (Read: Learning from “The Master’s sun”). When she portrays a certain character, all I can see is the character alone. No trace of Gong Hyon Jin. She is undeniably a good actress. But I’m not here to analyze her unquestionable acting ability. I’m here to share my thoughts after watching this Korean Drama.

The drama is written by Noh Hee Kyung and Kim Kyu Tae, the same people behind another Jo In Sung starer “The Winter The Wind Blows”. After hearing the news that the trio would do another drama, of course, I wouldn't dare not to watch it.

Fortunately, I survived the 16 episode filled with laughter, kilig**, and tears (of course, because this is a Jo In Sung and Gong Hyo Jin drama, people!!!).

[WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Now, let me ask you a question this drama left me: Is it really okay if it’s love?

Let me expound it. Is it okay to endure everything life throws at you because of love? Can you surpass everything with just love? In romance dramas, yes. In reality, yes but it won’t be that easy.

If you watch the drama you probably knew that it started with a very light tone. I love those witty (and sometimes sexy) banters between Jang Jae Yeol (Jo In Sung) and Ji Hae Soo (Gong Hyo Jin). But as the story progresses, we discovered Jang Jae Yeol’s weakness – he is diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Gong Hyo Jin is at her best during the scene where she found out about Jang Jae Yeol’s condition. If the character was not strong, I bet she would have broken up with Jae Yeol then and there.

She was hurt but she remained at Jae Yeol’s side. Her friends told her that their happiness as a couple triggers Jae Yeol’s episode. Her mother wants her to leave Jae Yeol because her mother experienced how to take care of someone with illness (Hae Soo’s father). There were a lot of reason Hae Soo can use to escape that kind of situation but the heck what others might think, she stayed.

The only person that made Hae Soo leave was Jae Yeol himself. Remember the overused saying, “if you love someone set them free. If they come back then it was meant to be”. I’m afraid that I have to use that to describe how Jae Yeol decided that he must be the one to let go. It was a needed break-up. I really like endings where the character save themselves and not wait for a rescue. Of course, one could argue that Hae Soo saved Jae Yeol. But I could say it was Jae Yeol’s determination that helped him to overcome his illness.

Jae Yeol and Hae Soo’s story made me realize (cliché as it may sound) the power of true love. It can endure everything. It would make you accept a person’s flaws, society’s judgments and survive life trials; all because we loved.


"It's Okay, It's Love" soundtrack has a good line-up of songs. Let me share my favorite, Yoon Mi Rae's "I Love you"



** KILIG - is a Filipino word with no direct English translation. It is a word use to describe the way you feel for something romantic.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment